Wednesday 11 October 2017

So What Now?

I may have hit my trigonometrical limit.

I've fabricated the two main pieces of the conservatory roof but now I'm left puzzling the size and shape that I will need to make the end triangles.


The problem is that in my initial calculations I didn't account for the overlap at the front and sides - where the gutter is - and so I don't feel confident that I know precisely what the height of the roof will be, and even the smallest margin of error will may leave some ugly gaps if I try to make the end pieces based only on my calculations.

Therefore I think I shall resort to doing what I usually do, which is take the time consuming, labour intensive option.

I shall attempt the glue these two pieces into a V shape and then form a template for the end pieces before fabricating the real ones and gluing them into place.

I only hope none of my former maths teachers are reading this - oh the shame!

(By the way, if you think the two pieces in the photo look wonky and not symmetrical it's just the angle the snap was take from.)

4 comments:

  1. Rob, At the risk of "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs".
    I presume you have the base length of the end triangles, the other two edges will be the same length as the ones on the pieces you have already made. Hence if you draw a line the length of the base and then strike an arc from each end of this line at the length of the ends on the pieces you have made, where the arcs cross should be the top point of the end triangles, joining the ends of the line to the arc crossing should give you the size of the triangle you need.
    Hope this helps.
    Phil T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does Phil, I hadn't thought of that.
    (I really am very dim sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same issue when drawing up a hip roof that was very complex, I use Fusion 360 a free 3D download you create the 3D model then it automatically creates a drawing for you which can be adjusted to the shape you need it cut to. Would take me two minutes to draw up it is vet simple. Let me know and can draw it up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Phil says, time to dig out your old school compass! Set it against the pieces you've made already.

    ReplyDelete