Friday 14 September 2012

What Next?

I've been swithering for quite a while about what I should make next.

Although I've got plenty of contract work on the go with the DZ kit project and the KMX tamper I'm building I always like to have a project for Bron Hebog on the workbench.

There isn't anything 'new' to make at the moment. I won't be starting on the Superbarn 108 until Boston Lodge have finished the real thing and I can see exactly what it's going to look like, in case there are any changes from 103 and 121.

Instead I find myself reviewing the stock boxes to see if there are any models from the Dduallt fleet that need to be replicated or repeated for use on Bron Hebog.

Two such vehicles are the observation carriages 111 and 11.

111 is a prime candidate because my existing model of it shows the carriage in its original 1990's livery.



That won't work on Bron Hebog, however it would be a shame to leave it gathering dust in the stock boxes because the real 111 is quite often taken for a trip up the WHR and so it would be well worth making a second model of it in its current condition to use on the layout.

It is a similar situation with carriage 11 - as I still insist on calling it.



My existing model of this carriage is even more dated because it is portrayed as a 1980's vehicle.

Along with its sibling, number 12, the real number 11 has been repainted a number of times in the last three decades and is currently wearing a 1950's heritage livery.

A new 11 would fall into much more of a 'nice to have' category than 111 because its trips to Beddgelert are confined to special gala or vintage workings, but it would be a much more enjoyable model to make and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it.

So as you can see, it's a bit of a head or heart scenario. Do I build the more useful vehicle or the one I like more?


No comments:

Post a Comment