Monday 11 April 2011

Primary Colour

Some aerosol action for you, once again. Himself has given 'Lyd' a spray.



As you can see the Backwoods kit divides so that the front running plate and buffer beam is attached to the chassis. That's not as silly / obvious as it sounds because until Pete's products came along with their bespoke chassis the norm in 009 was to have a whitemetal kit where the front bit of the locomotive was attached to the rest of the body.

The rest of the paint job should be relatively straight forward because I can now reveal that our 'Lyd' will be turned out in the spoof BR livery the locomotive has been wearing for the last six months.



I think it looks lovely in the lined black livery, and beside which there's no shortage of Southern liveried Manning Wardle tanks out there on the exhibition circuit.

It also fits with our decision to model 87 in the photographic grey livery it wore for the first year after restoration at Boston Lodge, rather than the dark blue it now sports.

I'd love to hear what you all think of our decision.

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant choice, can't wait to see a black Lyd, would love one myself.
    Can't wait too see the finished article, if your other stock is to go by, it will be brill.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't disagree with your comment "there's no shortage of Southern liveried Manning Wardle tanks". Besides, if people want a green Lyd before long there'll be the real thing!

    Don't forget that the outside cranks on 87 were grey - I had a soft spot for this, as it meant you could see the motion going round more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good one, but when Lyd was outshopped, 87 was already in blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's true, but what I should have said is that like 87, Lyd is being finished in the livery in which it first appeared at Beddgelert.

    There's a post called 'Let's Do The Timewarp' from last year which discusses the dilemas of fixing a time frame for layouts / models like Bron Hebog which are depicting an ever-changing prototype.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the phrase is "It's my train set and I'll do what I like". And lined BR Black looks good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When did they convert from oil to coal?

    ReplyDelete