Monday 10 January 2011

Modelling vs Masochism

As a diversion from the ballast wagons I've been adding a few more details to the tamper. (Is that still not finished?)

Well, this bit had to wait for the soldering iron to arrive. Can you tell what it is yet?



That's right, got it in one. It's some kind of pipework. Electrical or pneumatic? Sorry, not a clue, though I suspect someone will soon put me right.

Anyhow, as you can see below, this side of the tamper is riddled with them. (There are none on the other side)



For these I used very thin brass wire. I don't know what size it is, all I can tell you is it's the stuff which is twisted together to form the wire you generally use to hang pictures.

It's not the neatest bending or soldering you'll ever see, but then again, take another look at the picture of the tamper and you'll see the actual pipe work / wire loom is a bit of a mess too.

I haven't included every cable/wire on the model but to do so would be awfully fiddly and I've always maintained that making good models is about convincing the viewer what their looking at is an accurate model rather than rivet-counting perfection. I'm a modeller, not a masochist.

Anyway, here's how my efforts look on the model and you can judge for yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment