Saturday 14 August 2010

Wind Up Wagon

I find myself between projects at the moment.

The Cherry Picker's in the process of being painted, but once you've had your ten minutes entertainment applying a coat of one colour it has to go back in the box for at least 12 hours before you can do anything else to it.

I'd like to have a bash at the WHR's Romanian-made ballast wagon, but I'm going to need to source some detailed pictures of it first. It's quite a complicated bit of kit with lots of tricky angles and mechanisms to get right. As I'm not likely to get to Wales myself again this year I'm having to appeal to various contacts to do my research work for me.

So I might end up doing a spoof of a spoof.



This wagon appeared on the WHR junction line opposite Spooners Bar at Porthmadog Harbour during the Quirks and Curiosities event in May. (The pranksters even laid a pipe leading from the wagon off in the direction of the pub.)

The tank seems to be sitting on a former skip chassis so it looks quite a simple job to knock up in 4mm. The trickiest bit is going to be designing and producing my own transfers for it. And getting the shade of purple right.

3 comments:

  1. I've always fancied some tanks wagons, so will be interested to see how you tackle this!

    I can see the paint shade being the most tricky thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on the blog now, but did you ever manage to build one of these?
    I would be very interested in one if you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not got round to it yet, but even 8 years later it's still on the wish list.

      Delete